Wharf to Wharf Race 2017
DATE OF RACE:
Sunday, July 23rd, 2017 (Always on the 4th Sunday in July)
6 mile road race (not 10k!)
Registration for the 45th Annual Wharf to Wharf Race will be $45 per person and will be limited to 16,000 people.
Registration details are as follows:
Loyalty Registration: Opens on Tuesday, March 21st (must have been registered for 4 of the past 7 years)
Locals Registration: Opens on Tuesday, March 28th (must have a Santa Cruz County billing, credit card zip code)
General Registration: Opens on Tuesday, April 4th (everyone is eligible)
Random Selection Process: Opens on April 11th (everyone is eligible)
Race Day Info
RACE DATE: July 23, 2017
START TIME: 8:30am (sharp!)
LOCATION: The Wharf to Wharf Race starts at the Santa Cruz Wharf (Beach St. & Cliff St.) near the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and finishes at the Capitola Wharf (Wharf Rd. & Cliff Dr.) near Capitola Village.
PARKING: Traffic and parking can be a challenge, so plan on getting to Santa Cruz early. We recommend being in town by 7:00am. There is extremely limited street parking near the start line and many nearby roads are closed for the race. DO NOT PARK ON STREETS THAT ARE POSTED NO PARKING. Bring some quarters, as meter parking runs is abundant. Free parking is available in Santa Cruz at the Ocean Street Government Center and paid parking is located near River Street Parking Plaza. Take advantage of the bus shuttles that run from these two Santa Cruz parking lots to the Start Line of the race beginning at 6:30am. There is NO shuttle bus service from Capitola to Santa Cruz BEFORE the race.
Many veteran runners carpool and/or park in Capitola. Please Note: The Capitola Village is closed to ALL traffic from 5am to 12 noon.
START CORRALS: The Wharf to Wharf Race starting area is fenced off and separated into corrals. The intention of Start Corrals is to organize everyone by their run/walk pace, and to prevent unregistered runners from entering the start area and running the race. Remember…the Wharf to Wharf Race is a fundraiser for the youth of Santa Cruz County and forbids people from participating in the event without registering. We politely ask everyone to respect this policy.
All bib numbers will be color coded with corresponding corral numbers that will designate your starting position. Take a look at your bib’s background color and corral number (corral number is located on the lower corners of your bib in small boxes, underneath your actual racing number). Note: Elite Corrals will have white background and red numbers. All other bib numbers will have a white background and a coral-corresponding color number. Below is a sample bib from the 2013 race.
Adult volunteers will be at every corral checkpoint to direct participants into their appropriate area, and to ensure no one enters the wrong corral. We will have staff, volunteers, and signage throughout the entire start area to provide direction and assistance to those who have questions regarding our Start Corrals.
***ONLY registered participants with 2017 bib numbers will be allowed to enter the Start Corral. Under NO circumstance will anyone be allowed into the Starting Corral without a bib number.
Please review the Start Corral map below.
– Corral E is our Elite Corral. This is for bibs with red numbers and a white background. It can be accessed at Cliff St. & Beach St.
– Corral #1 is the next corral in line and can be accessed at 1st St & Westbrook St.
– Corral #2 follows Corral 1 and can also be accessed at 1st St & Westbrook St.
– Corral #3 is towards the back of the Start Corral and can be accessed at 1st St & Main St.
– Corral #4 is the last corral and can be accessed at 1st St & Main St.
– All Corrals can be accessed by entering the back of the Start Corral at the Santa Cruz Wharf near the WTW HDQTRS by utilizing the sidewalks.
***Corral Rule #1: The first rule of a Corral System and the only rule of a Corral System… Anyone can move BACK corrals… but no one can move UP corrals. For example: If you are in Corral #1, you can freely move back to Corral #3 to join a friend or family member. However, if you are in Corral #3, you cannot move up to Corral #1 to join a friend or family member.
*As stated on our registration page, on our website and in our Race Instructions, Joggers/Strollers are not permitted and will not be allowed to enter Start Corral under any circumstance. This is a safety policy.
Members of the Wharf to Wharf Racing Team, along with Maps and Directories of the Start Layout will be located at each Corral Entrance.
Restroom Locations: The map below shows the locations of all restrooms around the Starting Area.
Bib Numbers: DON’T FORGET YOUR BIB NUMBER! Remember, Wharf to Wharf is an exclusive, limited-entry event. Your bib number is your ticket to access all race venues, including your ticket onto the shuttle buses before and after the race! The timing chip strip on its flipside will record your official starting-line-to-finish-line race time enabling you to check your results online against that of the elites, your friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, boss, etc… Also, the chip strip is fragile. Treat it with care. Do not remove, fold, bend or crinkle.
Gear Check: Unfortunately, there is no gear check at the starting line.
COURE DETAILS: The scenic six-mile race is run on gently rolling hills in local seaside streets. The weather conditions for race morning are typically perfect: cool, 60 degrees, calm and foggy, but by noon, the skies are clear and warm.
START: The race begins at the corner of Beach & Cliff St, near the Santa Cruz Wharf.
MILE 1: The first mile is flat and picturesque, as you run alongside the iconic Giant Dipper in front of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. At the end of the first mile, you reach the base of the races biggest hill – a fairly steep, yet short hill that overlooks the Pacific Ocean & Boardwalk.
MILE 2-4: The next 3 miles are gently rolling with frequent breezes as you dip in and out of ocean view.
MILE 5: Mile 5 is flat and hugs the coastline by the legendary surf spots, “The Hook“ and “Pleasure Point.”
MILE 6: The final mile drifts through local seaside streets… once the ocean reappears; it’s all downhill to the finish.
FINISH: The Finish Line is at the corner of Cliff & Wharf Rd by the Capitola Wharf.
For your safety, the course is closed to all vehicular traffic, including skateboards, bikes, wagons, wheelbarrows, roller skates/blades and baby jogger/strollers. Pets are prohibited. Mile posts are marked splits will be called at each mile. All participants must maintain a 15-minute-per-mile pace. The race is over and the course re-opened to traffic at 10:30am. You must abandon the course at that time.
*Illustration by Desiree Douville
WATER & FIRST AID: Help is always at hand. Emergency medical services are available at each mile post and at the FINISH. Watch for running medics with fanny packs and specially marked tee shirt interspersed throughout the field. You’ll find water stations at the Crow’s Nest corner (mile 2 ½), 26th Avenue (mile 3 ½) and at 41st Avenue (mile 5)!
FINISH LINE: The Finish Line is at Wharf Road in Capitola, but don’t stop there. Follow the signs to the beach to retrieve your giftpak, refreshments and post-race festivities. On the beach is where you can meet up with your family and friends at the “FRIENDS & FAMILY MEET UP AREA.”
POST-RACE: All race finishers earn a giftpak loaded with goodies, featuring the coveted Wharf to Wharf Runner T-shirt. Pick up your giftpak on Capitola Beach after the race by exchanging the giftpak tag attached to your bib number for your giftpak. For correct T-shirt size, be sure to pick up your giftpak at the depot marked WOMENS S-M-L-XL-XXL or MENS S-M-L-XL-XXL according to your desired size. Giftpaks must be picked up in person at the beach on race day. No giftpaks will be mailed. Sorry, but no giftpak tag, no giftpak.
On race day, go to RACE HDQTRS at the big RACE HDQTRS banner at the Santa Cruz Wharf or check with the TROUBLESHOOTER on Capitola Beach.
TRANSPORTATION: After the race, free shuttles will run from Capitola back to Santa Cruz until 12pm noon. Buses will only be dropping off at the Government Center Building. The lot is a short walk back to Front St (0.5 miles) or the Start Line (1.0 miles).
AWARDS: The awards ceremony will be held at 10:20am at the Capitola Beach Bandstand. Race winners will be awarded The Mayor’s Cup and $4,000 cash prizes. Silver medalists win $3,000; Bronze medalists $2,000; 4th place finishers $1,000; top American M/F finishers $1,000. Local and wheelchair champs receive distinctive plaques. Top 100 M/F finishers will be awarded elite Wharf to Wharf apparel.
THE GOLD NUMBER! Each year, one hundred finalists are randomly drawn from the sold out field of 16,000. Check your bib number. If it is gold, you are one of these lucky finalists! The winning number will be drawn at the conclusion of the awards ceremony. The prize is a trip for two at a location TBD.
RESULTS & PHOTOS: Photos and Results will be available online after the conclusion of the event.
Registration for the 45th Annual Wharf to Wharf Race is $45 per person and will be limited to 16,000 people. Registration was available in four different time frames, Loyal Registration, Locals Registration, General Registration and Random Selection Process, but is now closed. Registration will only be available online at www.wharftowharf.com.
Registration details are as follows:
- Loyalty Registration:
- ***NOTE***: Loyalty Registration is now Closed.
- Opens on Tuesday, March 21st at 10:00am PST.
- Participants who have registered in 4 of the past 7 years (2010 – 2016) will be sent a unique promo code to register. If you qualify, the promo code will be emailed on Monday, March 20th.
- Only eligible to apply if you are sent a code (a code is required to access registration page).
- If you receive an Access Code, you do not need to rush to register. Your spot is reserved as long as you sign up by Friday, March 24th at 10am (Pacific Time).
- Locals Registration:
- ***NOTE***: Locals Registration is now Closed.
- Opens on Tuesday, March 28th at 10:00am PST.
- 3,000 bibs available, registration ends as soon as the 3,000 spaces are filled.
- Only eligible to apply if you are a Santa Cruz County resident whom also possesses a credit card with a Santa Cruz County billing zip code.
- General Registration
- ***NOTE***: General Registration is now Closed.
- Opens on April 4th at 10:00am PST.
- 8,000 bibs will be available to all applicants on a first come, first served basis. Registration ends as soon as all 8,000 spaces are filled.
- Only 1 person is allowed to be registered per transaction. Each person has to be registered separately.
- Important Details & Instructions for General Registration
- Due to the high demand for limited space we are implementing a controlled queue entry to ensure a smooth registration flow when registration opens.
- Once you enter the queue page, you will be able to enter the registration form based on your position in the queue. This could take anywhere from 0-20 min. Please be patient.
- DO NOT refresh, open multiple tabs or close the window. If you refresh the page, open multiple tabs or close the internet browser window, your spot in line will be lost.
- By entering the queue this does not guarantee you a spot, but will hold your place in queue if/when a spot becomes available.
- You will be notified if at any time the General Registration window sells out.
- Random Selection Process:
- ***NOTE***: Random Selection Process APPLICATION period is now Closed.
- ACCEPTED RANDOM SELECTION PARTICIPANTS
- You will receive an email on 04/18 notifying you of your acceptance with an Access Code to register.
- If you did not receive an email, and are curious if you were selected, Click here to Verify Random Selection Process Status
- Once you receive your code via email, you can Register by Clicking Here.
- Opens on Tuesday, April 11 at 10:00am PST.
- Closes on Thursday, April 13 at 11:59pm PST.
- 1,000 bibs available.
- Applicants can apply as an Individual OR as part of a Group (NOT BOTH). If you apply as both an individual and a group (2 people or more), your individual application and your group application will both be disqualified.
- Individual: Those who wish to apply as an individual will be randomly accepted or declined as an individual.
- Group: Either your entire group will be selected, or no one in the group will be selected (Group instructions below)
- No limit on number of people who can apply for the Random Selection Process.
- ONLY one application entry will be accepted per person. Multiple applications from the same person are subject to disqualification.
- No application fee is applied.
- Selected entrants will be randomly accepted on Tuesday, April 18th, and will be notified via email. The list of whom is selected will also appear online at www.wharftowharf.com
- GROUP INSTRUCTIONS
- 1.) Group Leader will create team name and team password and submit their application
- 2.) Once the Group Leader completes the application, they can share the Group Name/Password with all other Group members to apply.
- 3.) Group Members can apply by clicking “Group,” searching for their Group Name or Group Leader. Once they find the correct Group, they need to put in the password that the Group Leader created.
- 4.) ALL Group Members MUST apply during the Random Selection Process in order to be eligible to be selected.
***Registration will only be available online at www.wharftowharf.com
Wharf to Wharf Race, Inc. would like to thank the Wharf to Wharf running community for being understanding of the changes to our registration in 2017. We understand how special the event is to so many people and will continue to try to discover more opportunities to include more people in the future. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Wharf to Wharf Race cherishes their partnerships and is grateful that they allow the organization to continue to contribute over $250,000 to the youth of Santa Cruz County every year. If your company wishes to be a part of the 2016 Wharf to Wharf Race Sponsorship Team, please contact Race Director, Scott McConville:
York Framing Gallery
Ideal Bar & Grill
Zelda’s on the Beach
The Wharf to Wharf Race welcomes corporate sponsorship interests.
A limited number of sponsorship positions are awarded each year, ranging in value from $4,000 to $50,000 with promotional benefits commensurate. Values are calculated in cash, goods, services and/or combinations thereof.
Widely acclaimed “The best little road race in California”, Wharf to Wharf is the biggest summer event of its kind on the West Coast and a boon to the local economy. Hospitality industry figures calculate that it brings more than nine million dollars annually to Santa Cruz County. It receives broad print and electronic media attention, is broadcast live on radio and aired on regional cable television. It is highlighted in all running industry publications as one of the top road races in America.
2014 race field demographics:
- Participant ages ranged from 2 to 90
- 9% were under 20, 15% were in their twenties, 25% in their thirties, 23% forty-something and 28% fifty or older
- 63% were women
- 27% were Santa Cruz County residents
- 58% came from the Bay area
- The rest from everywhere…representing more than 42 states and 14 countries
If you would like to explore sponsorship opportunities for your business on the Wharf to Wharf Racing Team, contact:
The Wharf to Wharf Roadshow is one of the things that make this event the best little road race in California. The race features more live entertainment per mile than any road race on the planet. More than 50 bands, singers, dancers, drummers, and other classic Santa Cruz acts line the six-mile race route every year providing a festive atmosphere for runners and spectators alike.
If you’re not running the race, you can still get in on the fun. Join the Wharf to Wharf Roadshow. Get out there and do your thing! Find out how to reserve a spot in this gala gauntlet of fun and folly.
GO FOR IT!
The Wharf to Wharf Race welcomes elite runners. Over the years, many celebrated international athletes have run the best little road race in California.
Minimum standards to be considered for the Elite Field are:
Men: sub 29:00 10k PB
Women: sub 34:00 10k PB
2011 Winner – Silas Kipruto
If you qualify for the elite field and find a way to get to Santa Cruz, you will be treated to the very best in California hospitality. You will be assigned a compatible Racemate from the ranks of the Santa Cruz Track Club who will contact you personally, meet you at either the San Jose or Monterey Airport upon arrival and adopt you as a friend and houseguest for the weekend. Your Racemate will attend to your every need during your stay in our beautiful coastal paradise, show you around our world famous giant redwood forests and beaches, preview the race course, get you to the starting line on time, and see to it that you get back to the airport for your return flight home. You can expect a carefree, fun-filled weekend and an opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people, some of whom may well become life-long friends.
This year’s cash prize purse totals $22,000. The top four M/F open runners will vie for $4,000-$3,000-$2,000 and $1,000. Top American M/F finishers will be awarded $1,000 each.
For further information and application details, contact:
PRIOR TO JULY 12th
We hope to see you in Santa Cruz on the fourth weekend of July for
“The best little road race in California.”
Bib Numbers & Transfers
The Wharf to Wharf Race is an exclusive, limited-entry event. Your bib number is your ticket to access all race venues, including your ticket onto the shuttle buses before and after the race! The timing chip strip on its flipside will record your official starting-line-to-finish-line race time enabling you to check your results online against that of the elites, your friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, boss, etc… Also, the chip strip is fragile. Treat it with care. Do not remove, fold, bend or crinkle.
RECEIVING YOUR BIB #
We do not have a packet pickup. All bib #’s will be mailed (COMPLIMENTARY) to the address you filled out in your registration at the beginning of July.
If you do not receive your bib # by Thursday, July 7th, email email@example.com.
BIB NUMBER TRANSFER SYSTEM
The Online Bib Transfer System at www.wharftowharf.com is the only way to legally transfer a bib number from one person to another. The transfer opens on April 25th and closes on July 15th.
If you complete the transfer process prior to June 21st, the bib number was mailed to the new bib number owner. However, if you completed the transfer process after June 21st, the two transferring party members will be responsible for exchanging the bib because the bib was sent to the original purchaser.
To Initiate a transfer, please click the link below, then follow the instructions below:
CLICK HERE to initiate a transfer
*You will need your original CONFIRMATION # from your confirmation email. Can’t find it? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of your confirmation receipt.
1. Once you click the link above and get to the transfer page, click the transfer button on right hand side of page
2. Complete form.
3. Once you submit the form you will receive an immediate email with the subject: “You have successfully initiated a transfer”
2. Click “REGISTER WITH ACCESS CODE ONLY”
3. Proceed through registration form, and remember to Enter CODE again in the PROMO CODE box to reduce the price of your registration to $15.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
**Transfer recipients will be required to pay $15.00. Any refund or exchange of funds between the original participant and the transfer recipient must be handled offline**